Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Today's show 15/06/11

I must start with the most important news of the day: My blog soared through 3500 page views yesterday afternoon. You see Jeremy, it is not just me!

Again, I must thank the like-minded JV Show haters who choose to use their valuable time to read my ramblings. I love it when they leave comments, and I would love it even more if you joined us there and left some comments of your own. It would be fascinating to read your own Points Of View and perhaps then we, the listeners, could get a better understanding of how your story selection process works, for example. The invitation is there, and I promise to publish any comment you make without comment from myself and leave it to my valued readers to respond as they see fit.

For the third day in a row, I see that Ed Miliband's woes continue, with at least two rags, errr... sorry, I mean newspapers, publishing interesting stories today. The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/first-his-brother-now-milibands-at-war-with-balls-2297553.html
) claims "First his brother, now Miliband's at war with Balls", while The Sun (yes, The Sun!) has an interview with Tony Blair (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3638081/Red-Ed-Miliband-warning-by-Tony-Blair.html#ixzz1PKJgt6M5) headed "Ed is dead if he stays red ...and Cameron's education & health policies are RIGHT". You have to ask if it really can get any worse for Mr Miliband, and how long can he remain Labour leader. Or perhaps you don't as once again you have managed to completely ignore this proper and important news story.in favour of irrelevant drivel. I'll remind you that on your web page it says "Jeremy presents news, views and live guests" but your listeners are not seeing a lot of news from you these days. Is it my imagination, or is your story selection process actually getting worse in this regard? It certainly seems that way.

So let's look at what we will be missing today...
 
1) STREAMING IN SCHOOLS - A new report says that 1 in 6 children are streamed from the age of 7. Were you someone condemned to the low stream for the rest of your school days? Or rather, are you a parent who believes in streaming and wants to know what number your kid is in the class? : In answer to your questions: No, I wasn't condemned to the low stream, and I have absolutely no recollection of any streaming at my school. And I am not a parent, so I have no children to be numbered, and so this cannot be of any interest to me. Next...
 
2) OLYMPIC TICKETS FOR ARMED FORCES - Members of the armed forces have been allocated 10 000 free Olympic tickets. Do you agree that our armed forces should be given every possible privilege, or should we stop treating all soldiers as heroes when actually they’re just doing their job? : Hmmm... should we stop treating soldiers as heroes, you ask. Who is this mysterious "we"? Are you including me in that? You really are far too presumptious, and I shall remain puzzled as to what there is to discuss. Next...
 
3) CHAVS - We speak to the writer of a new book ‘Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class’, who says we should all stop treating the working class with contempt : Well, there's a book I won't be reading any time soon ... thanks for the warning! I'm just approaching the end of your former colleague Mark Radcliffe's latest book "Reelin' In The Years", which is absolutely wonderful. And again, who exactly is the "we" who are allegedly treating the working class with contempt? Not me, that's for sure, so this is of no interest to me, although I bet author Owen Jones will be grateful for the publicity. Next...
 
4) NEW DIY BADGE FOR SCOUTS - Finally, as scouts introduce a new badge for simple DIY chores, are you someone who hasn’t even got a screwdriver, let alone a tool box, and would rather pay someone a lot of money to do the job for you? Find out more in this Daily Mail article : Thank God for the Daily Mail. Without it coming to the rescue today you might have had to address a proper news story, but at the last minute they have come to your rescue with some non-news twaddle. Hurrah! What would you do without it?
 
So, Ed Miliband tomorrow then?

No comments: