Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Today's show 19/07/11

It looks to be an interesting day for The Media, with The Media being a major part of the news coverage by The Media. What could possibly go wrong?
 
Meanwhile, the accuracy of this made me chuckle: http://cityunslicker.blogspot.com/2011/07/voice-of-people.html
 
So let's look at today's paltry offerings...

1) MURDOCH'S AND BROOKS FACE CULTURAL SELECT COMMITTEE - Rupert Murdoch and his son James will today face the cultural select committee, along with the former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks. What questions would you like the MP's on the select committee to ask them? : Aha! Good to see that the fabled Greengrocers' Apostrophe (http://www.wordspy.com/words/greengrocersapostrophe.asp
) remains alive and well. For your information, the plural of Murdoch is "Murdochs", and the plural of MP is "MPs". I'm following your Twitter feed to see the questions that your listeners would like to be asked, and there are some very good and reasonable questions being suggested. What puzzles me though is how you will pass these questions to the members of the Select Committee, or perhaps they just read your Twitter page. My favourite so far has to be from SteelCat: How many cream crackers can you fit in your mouth at one time? Next...

2) ELECTRONIC SHOCK COLLAR - A dog owner in Ogmore in South Wales has been fined £2,000 for illegally using an electronic shock collar on his dog. Are such collars cruel, or are they a sensible way to control a dog? : Shock collars are illegal in Wales where I live, and I don't own a dog. On that basis I am sorry to say that any discussion on this topic is completely irrelevant to me. Next...

3) WHEELIE BIN FINE - Bedford council could fine householders £1,000 for leaving their bins out, because of a potential hazard to blind people. Find out more in this Daily Mail article : Aaahhhh.... the Daily Mail - hip, hip, hooray! Our collective thanks must surely go to the Daily Mail today for that fine picture of some overflowing wheelie bins. Education is a wonderful thing. I feel sure that the residents of Bedford will express their dissatisfaction with this arrangement when they next get an opportunity to elect their councillors. As for me, I don't live in Bedford and it seems that my local council have a much more enlightened outlook on this issue. Next...

4) WESTMINSTER UPDATE - Finally, we go to Westminster and set the scene, as the minutes tick before the Murdoch's face parliament : Hmmmm.... this sounds like a recipe for speculation, conjecture and waffle. So, no change there then.

1 comment:

gill kerry said...

Oh yes, the aberrant apostrophe!