Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Today's show 03/05/11

Welcome back, and my thanks to whoever it was who managed to get your web page updated by 11:10 today. It is good to see that somebody has chosen to do their job today.

With the Andrew Marr story now descending in to the depths of Yesterday's News, it is interesting to see that your friends at the Daily Mail have reported another story concerning poor judgement by a BBC journalist. This time it is Robert Peston, the BBC's Business Editor, who made some inappropriate tweets over the weekend. The story is here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382585/BBCs-Robert-Peston-tweets-Kate-Middleton-Prince-William-having-sex.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
 but I am not surprised that you have chosen to ignore it as it again shows journalists in their usual and very much deserved poor light. Scum.

OK, moving on to today's reasons for switching to 6 Music at 12 then:

1) OSAMA BIN LADEN - Do you share the jubilation of many Americans following the killing of Osama Bin Laden? We speak to someone who says America should have taken him alive and made him stand trial. Only then will justice have been done. We speak to the mother of one of the victims who was killed on 9/11 : As I said last week, I love a good conspiracy theory, but that does not mean that I believe what the theorists tell me. There are many people who believe that Bin Laden had nothing to do with the events of September 11th 2001 and that it was an "inside job" by the US authorities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_conspiracy_theories
). In the name of fair and accurate reporting I would hope that you will be putting forward this point of view, but my suspicion is that it will eat in to the sensationalism and faux emotion of your main thrust, so you won't bother, and neither will I. Next...

2) ROADSIDE LITTER - After one, why are our road verges full of litter? A new law will specifically fine motorists who throw rubbish out of the window : Sounds reasonable, and I am left wondering what there is to discuss. My guess is "nothing" so I won't be listening to this. And good to see a story from the Daily Mail so early in the week! Next...

3) THE SCOTTISH ELECTION - And finally, an electrifying TV debate in Scotland. Could an SNP victory lead us closer to Scottish independence? : Good to see that, again, you are starting to realise that the UK consists of more than just England. There was a TV debate here in Wales too (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-13262622
) so perhaps you should discuss that tomorrow. After all, Scotland is not more important than Wales, is it?

No comments: