Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Thursday 24 November 2011

Today's show 24/11/11


Did you see "That's Britain" on BBC1 last night? It was "a show about the things in modern life that drive us round the bend". Unfortunately it didn't include a piece about rubbish BBC programmes with tired, biased and hackneyed content using the overpaid "talent" we all pay for through our licence fee. Next week, maybe.

Today's issue that affects me: I've contracted Man Flu ... an illness which is totally under-rated by the female sex ... and I feel dreadful. Will I live?

In the meantime, the show must go on....

1) BURGLAR - A burglar tells his victim that it was their fault for leaving a window open. Is it time we took more responsibility for crime? : Some of us already do! Next...

2) BORDER AGENCY - Would you be prepared to volunteer to be a border guard in order to break the strike next Wednesday? : Errrr... hang on... the BBC page you link to says: Civil servants from across Whitehall are being lined up to act as border staff at UK ports and airports during next week's public sector strikes. I'm not a civil servant, so how can I volunteer? You haven't got the wrong end of the stick here - you've got the wrong stick! Typical. Next...

3) MCCANNS - Following the McCanns’ harrowing testimony to the Leveson Inquiry, is it time for people who still criticise them to shut up? : The wording and tone used here, in your trail on Ken's show and in your rant on Twitter this morning ("Don't send me stuff that insults the McCanns - they have been through more than we can ever understand" and "RECOMMENDED. Very painful account of just how vile the papers have been to the McCanns since they Maddie: http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/nov/23/leveson-inquiry-kate-gerry-mccann?cat=media&type=article") in response to some well-made points by a father of young children tell me quite clearly that you have your own viewpoint and it will be rammed relentlessly down your listeners throats whether they like it or not. I have little interest in this sad episode but my views on the McCanns and yours are poles apart and anything that you tell me to think today will not change that. On the basis that you have already made it clear that an impartial discussion is impossible I have no need to listen to this. You have, again, castigated The Media scum for their treatment of the McCanns while conveniently forgetting that you are part of The Media scum yourself. I suggest number 6 on the Sympathetic Voice Generator. Next...

4) SPEEDING - We discuss the man who was so incensed at people speeding through his village that he painted an enormous 30mph sign on the side of his house : Is there no news again today then? If it works, good for him! But I don't need to spend 30 minutes listening to a discussion about it. Do you know what... I might just paint "I Hate The Jeremy Vine Show" on the side of my house this weekend in the hope that it would appear on your programme next week. Or perhaps not.

The Jeremy Vine Show - now do as we say, and shut up!


UPDATE:

Blog reader Gill has just made a very valid point that you have completely missed. She says...

Is it me, or is there some sort of corellation between the first and third story that JV has obviously missed. According to the World of Vine, it is your fault if you leave a window open but not if you leave your children alone?


I trust that you will be including this point in your discussions today.

3 comments:

Gill Kerry said...

Is it me, or is there some sort of corellation between the first and third story that JV has obviously missed. According to the world of vine, its your fault if you leave a window open but not if you leave your children alone?

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

You are absolutely right Gill! Man Flu Brain not working very well, I should have spotted that! I feel an update coming on....

Stonyground said...

The thing that drives me mad and one of the JVS subjects actually coincide today. The thing that drives me mad is 'Forty-fiver Drivers' These people drive at forty five miles per hour whether the speed limit is thirty, fifty or sixty. In urban areas they drive at a potentially dangerous speed, fifteen MPH over the legal speed limit. Outside those urban areas they drive fifteen MPH below the legal speed limit and cause huge tailbacks. Grrrr.