Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Today's show 30/11/11


I do my best when writing to you and subsequently on my blog to deliberately not express an opinion either way on contentious issues and instead concentrate my ire on your programme, but every now and then I have to make an exception. Today is one of those days.

I'm busy today earning more money, so I can pay more tax, so I can buy a pension better than my own for somebody who I have never met and whose services I rarely, if ever, use. So quickly then...

1) PUBLIC SECTOR STRIKE - Up to two million public sector workers are taking part in a 24 hour strike over changes to their pensions. We speak to a striking teacher and a nurse who say you should support them. Unconvinced? They'll take your calls : Striking ... it is so last century. Wouldn't it be great if one week all of the wealth makers and decision takers decide to go on strike, just to see what happens. With all of those Diversity Coordinators sitting at home today watching Jeremy Kyle, how will the country possibly survive? A teacher I know wrote this on Facebook in support of the strike action: "If I don't turn up tomorrow at least 150 students will have their education harmed.". He is clearly far more important than I thought, and I can't help thinking he is not alone in thinking that holding the country's childrens' education to ransom is a good idea. There has already been criticism of the BBC about their coverage of today's strikes (of Evan Davies in particular) with our beloved state broadcaster's view being very much in favour of what is happening. Frankly, I could not care less which side of this particular argument you are going to take, but I'll take a guess that it does not coincide with mine. In the meantime, I found this amusing: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/strikers-told-to-be-home-in-time-for-newsround-201111304607/
. Next...

2) PUBLIC VS PRIVATE SECTOR - Are public sector workers really the 'haves' and private sector workers the ‘have-nots' in today's Britain? : Nothing to hear here, other than callers increasing their blood pressure. This will be nothing more than a good old-fashioned JV Show slanging match, with callers shouting over the top of each other while you sit back and pretend to have some control. Next...

3) PAUL MCMULLEN - Former News Of The World journalist, Paul McMullen, tells the Leveson Inquiry that phone hacking is "perfectly acceptable" and "privacy is for paedos." : Journalist scum. What do you expect? Next...
 
4) POTTERING IN SHEDS - New research suggests pottering in a shed can add years to a man's life. Has a shed been a tonic for your health? Find out more in this article from the Daily Mail : Excellent ... a nice sexist question from the Daily Mail. I don't have a shed, but my wife does. I'll ask her when she comes home from work.
 
The Jeremy Vine Show - normal service has been resumed

2 comments:

gill kerry said...

pottering in sheds won't make you live longer, but it will seem as 'tho you are!!

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

Thanks Gill ... you are a star!