Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Today's show 08/03/11

Four more good reasons not to listen today:

1) Police Job Losses - Government cuts could lead to twenty eight thousand police job losses. Is the solution for us to do some of the policing ourselves? : That will be 12,000 less police hassling innocent photographers then. And how can I become a vigilante? Next...

2) Motor Neurone Disease - A man with motor neurone disease is recording his own voice so he can still read to his son when he loses the power of speech : That should, of course, be "... loses the power of SPEACH ...". A speech is an address to other people, not the ability to speak. English not a strong point? Anyway, good for him. It just goes to show that there are still some free-thinking individuals out there who do not rely on the state or the media (aren't they the same thing?) telling them what to do. Next...

3) University Fees - 'I am a child of parents on welfare, I live on a council estate and I have just got 4 A stars at A-level. I will now walk into Oxford University and get my fees paid for.' What's wrong about this statement? : Hmmm... I love a grammatical challenge. Let me think.... OK, how about this:
 - There should be a capital W on Welfare as it is a proper noun.
 - The word "got" isn't very good as it does not give any indication of effort and hard work, so how about "achieved"?
 - Ideally, the number 4 should be written as the word "four".
 - The phrase "get my fees paid for" is cumbersome, and should be "have my fees paid" or similar.
What ever happened to BBC English, eh? Next...

4) Burning Poppies : A Muslim extremist has been fined £50 for burning poppies on Armistice Day : And an injured soldier was fined £60 for parking in a disabled parking bay (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8893050.Injured_soldier_fined_for_parking_in_disabled_bay/). So Jeremy, other than winding up your unfortunate listeners in to a state of apoplexy, what are YOU going to do about it? Can I guess? How about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING? How does it feel to be so powerless? How does it feel to be a former professional journalist who has been reduced to nothing more than a talk show host? For God's sake man, remember how it used to be, prove your worth and DO SOMETHING.

No comments: