Please click here for more information about who I am and why I do this.
The text shown after 1), 2), 3) and 4) is copied exactly from the BBC's daily JV Show web page and I acknowledge their copyright of this text.
The "Find out more..." links to web pages referred to by the JV Show web page are available by clicking on the text following 1), 2), 3) and 4).
"Find out more..." text is only included here when it refers to a non-BBC web page link.
You can follow my occasional postings on Twitter at @JVineBlogMan although @TheJeremyVine has blocked me from following him.
I am subject to the BBC's "expedited complaints handling process" (meaning I'll be ignored) for two years from 25/01/12.

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Today's show 22/03/11

I missed an important anniversary yesterday, which I should have told you about. Yesterday, 21st March, marks the 30th anniversary of the day on which I last purchased (i.e. paid good money for) a newspaper. It was a long time ago, but the same day may also have marked the 30th anniversary of the day on which I first purchased (i.e. paid good money for) a newspaper.

The reason was, of course, the unfortunate sinking of Radio Caroline's ship the Mi Amigo the previous day. For some reason the BBC was strangely silent about the whole event, although the printed press covered it in some detail. It is interesting that the BBC's bias towards other broadcasters is nothing new.

Anyway, it is now 12:05 and only the first story is showing on the web page. How I am meant to write this stuff without the information that your web page gives me? You are upsetting my daily routine.Tsk tsk....

1) ARE FOREIGN STUDENTS KEEPING YOUR TOWN ALIVE? - The government wants to crack down on foreign students, but are foreign students keeping your town alive? : My nearest town only has a primary school, for children aged 3 to 11, and the only foreign children that may go there would be from England. On that basis I think the answer to your question is No. Next...

Yay! The web page has finally been updated at 12:10...

2) LIBYA: THE COST OF MILITARY ACTION - Parliament votes overwhelmingly in favour of the military action in Libya, but can we afford to pay for this war? : I have no idea, but you obviously don't think we can. Next...

3) ROYAL MAIL SHREDDING POST - The Royal Mail has to shred twenty-five million badly addressed items of post a year. But did your letter or package make it through against the odds? : Oooohhh, I like this: "Find out more from this Daily Mail article". Has something changed that you are now giving more credit to your sources? You know, those hard-working journalists who actually research and investigate the news, rather than just talk about it. I think the important phrases in your description of this story are "badly addressed" and "Daily Mail", both of which tell me that this is an utterly pointless discussion. Next...

4) RELIGION AND THE CENSUS - When filling in the Census form, if you're not a particularly devout Christian who doesn't go to church, should you really be putting 'Christian' down on the form? : Should I care? More to the point, what about the Occupation question? What do you put for yours? Journalist? Reporter? News broadcaster? Talk show host? I believe it is against the law to provide inaccurate information.

Related link to this story: http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/2011/03/just-as-census-beckons.html

UPDATE:

Somebody disagreed with you, and so what did you do? Cut her off, of course.
Be a man Jeremy and take the criticism. It is far too easy for you to cut people off and ignore their emails. Can you work out why I won't go on air with you?
Here's a suggestion: I'll go on air with you provided that I have control of your microphone fader. Let's see how you like it.

3 comments:

Craig said...

Well, this blog is a lot more fun than the 'Jeremy Vine Show'.

feargal the cat said...

I thought I was the only one who found this show nothing but an ill-informed, sensationalised speculation exercise. I normally turn the volume down low enough so that I only hear the music; thereby maintaining my blood pressure in the safe zone. Keep up the good work!

Radio2LunchtimeLoather said...

Thank you for your kind words!